A few months ago the gas gauge broke in one of our cars, so now we use the odometer to judge when it’s time to fill it up with gas. The rule is, we fill the car up after 200 miles and then reset the odometer.
A couple weeks ago, Ben drove to Grantsville, Utah (out in the middle of nowhere), to get our taxes done by a cheap tax guy. But on the way there, Ben hit 220 miles and ran out of gas. When I showed up with gas after about an hour, I totally made fun of him for not buying gas before 200 miles. I was pretty rude to him and I felt kind of bad afterward.
So then a couple nights ago, I was driving home from band practice, not noticing that the odometer said 217, and I ran out of gas. Normally, I probably would have been a little scared about being alone in my car on the side of the freeway, or maybe a little bit stressed that I wasn’t going to get home before midnight and get a good night’s sleep, but this time I just felt humiliated. I was sure I was being punished for teasing Ben when he ran out of gas. I couldn’t just call him to come save me, after I had ridiculed him for making the same mistake, so I called my friend instead. And then when I got home and sheepishly told Ben that I ran out of gas and I was really sorry for making fun of him, he said, “You made fun of me?”
Friday, April 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so awesome! I used to run out of gas a lot in highschool because my truck didn't have a gas guage. I always relied on the kindness of strangers. Someone nice always stops to help you.
This is Maggie's mantra and the whole family just shakes their head when we talk about it. (wink)
Post a Comment