Generally speaking, I’m not much of a vomiter. I don’t get the flu very often and when I do, I usually just get a stomachache that lasts for a day. When I was younger, I used to throw up occasionally, but I can’t remember a time that I threw up more than once during a single flu episode.
Until last week…
Thursday night I started feeling sick, but I figured I could sleep it off and feel better in the morning—you know, the way it always works. I soon found out that this time was different. Starting at 5:00 a.m. Friday, I threw up once every hour for five hours. Then I made the mistake of going to work, because my job is so important that I can’t miss a day, even if I’m sicker than I’ve ever been in my entire life. Or because I couldn’t afford to take a day of sick leave because I already used all of my time off for the next 10 years when I went to Hawaii for Christmas. Or maybe because my weekly e-newsletter goes out on Fridays and I haven’t told anyone else how to cover for me yet. Whatever the reason, it was a mistake to go to work because that meant driving...in the car...where there is no toilet. I didn’t even think to bring a bucket.
So after I stayed at work for about 45 minutes, five of which were spent in the bathroom doing you-know-what AGAIN, I hopped in the car and went home. I didn’t make it all the way home, though, before the urge came again. And this time there was nothing to puke in. I didn’t even have time to pull over or open the window or dump out the contents of my purse or take off my shoe. I threw up my own lap, while I was driving. Who does that? Even though no one was around, it was the most embarrassing, humiliating moment ever. So instead of keeping it to myself, I went home and called everyone I knew and then posted it on the Internet.
Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Kim! It was great to be able to get to hear your band play at Borders! I enjoyed myself a lot! Also thanks for the Debora Messing complement!
Well, you're practically twins, Maggie. Ben thought she even acted like you a little bit in that wedding movie. And thanks for coming to Borders. But seriously, wasn't it a little boring to listen to the same band for 2 whole hours? I just don't know how people do it.
I actually REALLY enjoyed sitting and listening to you play. It was a great time to sit and reflect. I would have liked it much better though if I weren't surrounded by people talking. Myabe if I had been more close to you guys. I don't really know. It was really great though. Ben thought I act like that girl in the movie? How so?
I don't think maggie looks much like debra messing except that they both have red hair. but I do think that your band is AWESOME! I loved the music, and I thought it was funny you kept pushing the microphone away from you, so no one could hear you singing. I didn't know you were so skilled in the mandolin. You're like a musical genius. Let us know when you are playing again.
I don't remember anything specific, but I do remember sitting in the theater thinking, "That lady is playing Maggie". It was towards the beginning and I think that it was something about the way that she moved or acted or something. I would have to see the movie again and I don't plan on doing that. I think that you look a little bit like her, but the similarities that I saw were more related to the character that she was playing.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not really planning on seeing that movie again either so I guess we'll never know.
Post a Comment