Friday, August 20, 2004

Assimilate This

I've never seen an entire episode of Star Trek in my life. I don't think I've even seen 5 whole minutes of an episode of Star Trek. I've been married to Ben for more than 2 years, plus we dated for 5 years before that, and he's never watched Star Trek when I've been around. I didn't even know he liked the show. It's not like it would have been a big deal if he had watched it. I'm totally indifferent towards the whole thing.

Last weekend we were on our way to Las Vegas to hang out with his high school buddies when I found out that the reason we were going was to see some Star Trek production. I thought it was a trick, like Ben didn't want to tell me about it until we were already on the way there so I would be held hostage, but he swears he thought he told me about it. I thought it was going to be like on Galaxy Quest when all of the freaky fans come dressed up as strange aliens and get the cast members' autographs. I thought I was going to feel totally out-of-place since I didn't know a single thing about this series that has probably been on for 20 years. But it ended up being really cool.

It was okay that I didn't know anything about it because I wasn't even quizzed or anything. There was a museum with a timeline from Galileo's birth to the 25th century and it was all completely thought-out so there wasn't a single hole in the plot. Did you know someone even wrote an entire language for one species of made-up aliens? I think it's awesome. And there were two rides, kind of like Star Tours at Disneyland, only more interactive and 18-minutes long each.

While we were waiting in line for these rides, Ben and his friends reminisced about the good ol' days when they went to the private school for nerds who wanted to learn at an accelerated rate and the whole high school was made up of Trekkies. They gave each other Star Trek ranks (probably like captain and admiral) and watched the show every Sunday, plus reruns every night. Be used to have this sticker on his car that said Star Fleet Academy, and for the longest time I thought that was the name of their high school. Surprise...it's a space ship on Star Trek.

I learned a lot last weekend about Star Trek and especially about my husband. Now I think he's cooler than ever!

No comments: