Monday, September 13, 2004

Seasons vs. The Sea

Ever since we bought a house with a front porch, Ben and I love to go out and sit on it. You can call us trashy if you want, but for some reason it's our new favorite thing. So far we haven't brought the banjo out with us, so we're not totally trashy, right? Plus, it's the only place that our cell phones consistently work, and we don't have a land line, so that's where we go to make phone calls. Well anyway, last night we were sitting on the front porch when the coolest lightning show ever started. Seriously, it was amazing. At times like that, I wonder how people like my family can live their entire lives in southern California.

Before I left for college, I thought I had the most perfect life ever. I grew up in the second safest city of its size in the whole USA. The weather was always perfect. We didn't have air conditioning and we didn't need it. We rarely used the heater. We lived 8 miles from the beach and 1 1/2 hours from the ski resorts. Sure, we took vacations, but it was usually in the summer so I never witnessed anything incredible. But then I moved to Utah and I learned some amazing things about Earth. The leaves actually change colors in the fall, and then fall off in the winter! And the snow really comes down in tiny, intricate, little snowflakes! And then in the spring, little tiny blossoms appear and it really looks like popcorn is popping on the apricot trees! Who knew? And I could have gone my whole life just being content in southern California, never witnessing an incredible thunderstorm. I'm not saying I'll never move back there, but I'm going to have to see a lot more places before I commit to one for life.

1 comment:

Mika said...

There is nothing trashy about sitting out on a front porch, I have to say that because it is something that I aspire to do soon. :) At the moment, we participate in the trashy art of sitting in chairs in the driveway.

I am glad that you are ennjoying the wonderful weather, and seasons!