Friday, April 28, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

One of the cool things about marrying into Ben’s family is that you get what you want for your birthday. There’s no surprise about it—you make a list of what you want, maybe even pick stuff out or try it on, and that’s what you get. If a sibling asks what you want, you can tell him/her one specific thing and that’s all. You don’t even have to give choices to create a tiny element of surprise.

Growing up in my family, I rarely made lists or even gave suggestions. Birthdays were all about the surprise. Even if I had no need or desire for a purple sweatshirt with dolphins on the front, it became the coolest thing I had ever seen when I opened it on my birthday just because I wasn’t expecting it.

As much fun as it was to always wonder what the next birthday would bring, I was excited to adopt Ben’s birthday style and trade the surprise for getting exactly what I wanted. Sure it sounds greedy, but let’s be honest—my love can easily be bought with birthday presents.

Check out all the cool stuff Ben gave me this year:

A canvas and acrylic paints
One of these cool chopper things so I don't have to cry when I chop onions anymore
The Elizabethtown soundtrack
And he even surprised me with roses!

No comments: