Friday, September 01, 2006

One-Year-Olds Are Totally Rad

Liam turned 1 yesterday. You wouldn’t believe how much better having a 1-year-old is than having a 0-year-old.

I’ll admit it—it took me a few months to realize that being a mom was really great. It has always been well worth the reward, but I wouldn’t say it has always been fun. Now that I have a 1-year-old, motherhood is like a dream. I LOVE being a mom.

Liam sleeps 12+ hours every night, and another 3-4 hours during the day. Not that long ago he was still waking up during the night and taking wimpy little naps.

As of two weeks ago he drinks formula, and as of yesterday he drinks real milk, and that is possibly the most liberating feeling I’ve ever experienced. He is no longer dependant on me for his survival.

He entertains himself and he laughs when I tickle him and he is learning how to communicate his needs and wants. I LOVE having a 1-year-old.

Check out these mad communication skills he used last night when he opened his birthday present:

First he was all, "For me? Really?"



Then he was like, "Let me get a better look at this sweet ride."



Then he said, "Is it done yet, Daddy? Can I ride it yet?"



See? I wasn't kidding. One-year-olds are totally rad.

3 comments:

kathryn said...

ben says that liam isn't sleeping 12 hours a night and 3-4 hrs a day because he's a good 1 year old, 'cause that's just not natural... ben thinks he sleeps that much because he's old enough to realize who his parents are and now he's suffering from depression... ouch, huh? (keep in mind, this is ben not kat)

Katie said...

My bff came to visit me in Colorado and her daughter turned 1 while they were here. She was SO much fun to hang out with! 1 year olds are for sure TONS of fun.

Tricia said...

I can't wait to see what song you're singing when he turns two. Bwahahahaha....