Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Addicted to Parmesan

My local grocery store recently turned into a fancy pants store with European-style bread and non-refrigerated blocks of cheese.

One day, after a recent trip to TGI Friday’s where I enjoyed the Strawberry Fields Salad, complete with shaved parmesan cheese, I decided to brave it up and check out the room-temperature cheese section.

I brought home a sliver of parmesan and promptly stuck it in the refrigerator, hoping the cool air would make it last an extra year or two since I wasn’t sure if I could use it often enough to keep it from going bad.

Now it’s a few weeks later and I just bought my second block of room-temperature parmesan. I put it on everything—sandwiches, salads, pasta—everything. I don’t even know how I lived without it for all of those years.

What a boring life I had before the parmesan.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm not usually a fan of fruity salads, but I think you've convinced me to try this one. I'll get back to you with my critique. You do realize that your reputation as an accredited food critic is at stake here...

kathryn said...

oooo. kim introduced me to fruity salads. the first one she made for me? spinach, strawberries, red onions, and walnuts with raspberry vinnegarette. YUM and a half. but this salad looks like it takes it up a notch. i'm going to try it. tonight.

Katie said...

Parmesan=expensive, but so good.