Friday, January 20, 2012

The Great Bedroom Switch of 2012

We have three bedrooms on the main floor of our house, and we’re not ready for Liam to move to the basement. This means someone is going to have to share a room when Baby #3 comes, and we’ve had a really hard time trying to figure out whether it should be Liam and Eliza or the two boys.

We finally decided to start out with the two boys together. Eliza was in the bigger bedroom, so last week Liam and Eliza switched bedrooms.

So far it’s worked out perfectly. We’ll see what happens when the screaming baby arrives.

Here is Eliza’s new big girl room:



Ben’s parents gave us two sets of that blue and white bedding when they redecorated one of their bedrooms last year, and we already had the pink stuff from Eliza’s nursery. I did a google images search and found out that dark blue and light pink were, indeed, allowed in the same bedroom, so this room was practically free to put together.

First, we borrowed the box springs and mattress from my cousin (Thanks, Leah!).

Next, I took apart the bed skirt from the second set of bedding and recycled Eliza’s old clothes hamper.


Then, I cut up one of the pillow shams (also from the second set of bedding) so we could keep using this memo board.


The lamp spent its former life on my nightstand, and then buried in storage, so I’m sure it was happy to get a makeover. It took a $5 lampshade from Hobby Lobby, a little bit of polka-dotted fabric, and a package of something called wooden doll heads, which I found for $1.50 at JoAnn. They had big holes drilled halfway through them, so Ben just had to drill them the rest of the way through before I could glue them on the lamp and paint it.


And finally, my google search gave me the birds-on-a-branch idea. The branch came from a tree in our backyard, and the birds came from scrap fabric, mostly from that second set of bedding. I made the quote out of contact paper on my Silhouette machine.


I can’t believe how amazing it has been to have a second set of bedding. I didn’t even touch the sheets or comforter, so Eliza can wet the bed all she wants and she’ll still have a second set of matching bedding to swap it out with. (Don’t worry, Leah—the mattress is covered in plastic.)

Next up: the boys’ room. But I still need to paint a dresser to go in there, so it might be a while.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Kim, I love that lamp and the birds on a limb! Want to decorate my girl's room? I keep thinking that she's still a newborn and she can only see 24 inches in front of her, but that's totally not true so I have to get something for her to stare at.

The Fallon Schank's said...

Okay, so you are TRULY amazing...please come to my home and fix it all up!

kathryn said...

You are awesome. I'm still waiting for my nesting juices to get flowing...

Liz Borchardt said...

It turned out super cute!! I love the branch with the birds!

Angela said...

Kim, you're amazing. I shouldn't be surprised, but every time I check your blog, there you go being all amazing and crafty again! her room is adorable.
And congratulations on the new baby boy coming very soon!! I got the news in your Christmas card and should have written you sooner. We're also expecting - in August. I have to say this one has been hard, the sick part at least. But I'm pulling out of it I hope!
So I'm coming to Utah for the month of March, which I know is when you're having your baby. But at the end of the month when you're ready for a visitor I would LOVE to come see you and catch up. I'll email you. Much love and I can't describe how much I miss you and Schmath - been waaaaaay too long. love,
Angela