Sunday, February 24, 2008

Fireplace February

Are you ready to see my favorite project yet? I hope you can handle this much awesome.

Here is the 70s fireplace we started with:


First step, removing the stone:


Here's the nasty stuff we found underneath:


Here's the bare cement wall we were left with, including the chimney hole that I tried to cover with a trash bag and masking tape:


Brand new studs to match the brand new fireplace. Aren't they studly?


New sheetrock:


All taped and mudded:


Almost finished:


FINISHED!

13 comments:

Bethany said...

INCREDIBLE!!! You guys are SO GOOD at this!!! I so want to come over, pretending to watch a movie or something, while I'm actually staring at that amazing fireplace.

kathryn said...

speechless... (so there, melissa). hmm, yes, i love it. you guys are awesome.

Bingham fam said...

OK you guys are the real thing!!! I can't believe that you did all that. It is beautiful! I wouldn't have ever imagined it that way. COOL!

Maggie said...

Did it make your room seem smaller or bigger? It looks awesome.

Melissa said...

It's a good thing that your last redecorating (headboard) post made me go out and buy some new stuff for my house - because this project would have surely sent me over the "My friends are all better at everything" ledge. Granted, I didn't make anything - but some new decor always seems to settle my stomach.

It looks AMAZING, Kim. Bravo.

Tami said...

Wow Kim! It looks amazing! You guys are so handy!

Sarah said...

WoW! You did that yourself?

Emily said...

Kim are you for real? That seriously looks awesome! I am super impressed. Jason might be sad that you got rid of the 70's rocks, though. Feel free to dump them in our backyard, he'd probably love it!

Kim Dubois said...

Thanks, guys!

Maggie, I can't tell if the room seems bigger or smaller. It's totally different because the furniture faces the fireplace now instead of trying to hide it.

Em, we saved some of our hideous rocks just for your backyard. I can't wait to wrap them up and bring them to your wedding.

Tricia said...

Did you really do that in one month? Because it takes Seth and I months just to tile a bathroom. I can't wait for party night at your house! It looks fantastical.

J said...

This is incredible! Really incredible. We have been doing some "house makeover" stuff too...nothing this dramatic. I'll post pictures in awhile.

zippy said...

Wow--way to go!!! What an amazing transformation!! Can we hire you to come do a few projects at our house? Well, at the very least it gives me some motivation to go finish painting the boys room--thanks!

kelly said...

you did an awesome job! love it!