Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Power of Shoes

My mom bought Liam some Thomas the Tank Engine shoes when she was here visiting last weekend. Instead of giving them to him right away, I decided to use them as potty training incentive. This morning I brought out the shoes and told him, “You can wear these whenever you’re wearing underwear.”

Up until this morning, the longest he’s lasted in underwear is about two minutes because he screams the whole time, “Get it off! I don’t like it! I need a diaper!”

Apparently all it took was a pair of Thomas shoes to make him realize how cool underwear is. He’s been wearing his Thomas shoes and underwear for an hour so far and he hasn’t wiped the grin off of his face.

8 comments:

bex said...

you are such a smart mom.

(the promise of new shoes has also motivated me to overcome a lot of difficult things in my life too.)

Emily said...

I love that picture and I love underoos. I hope it lasts!

kathryn said...

Maggie has sparkly shoes and her attitude has to match her shoes when she wears them. Otherwise they go stay in my closet for awhile.

The Crowley's said...

anything that works is great, my neighbor uses boxer shorts with her boys because they hate underwear, i don't know, the whole potty thing is a challenge. Dora the Explorer worked great with Abby! hope you are doing well.

Tricia said...

He's going to be so embarrassed of that picture in a few years! But I think it's so cute!

KT2 said...

Lookin' good Liam! Keep up the good work!

zippy said...

Ooo, gonna have to try that with our little monkey. So far he hasn't had a long lasting interest in potty training, some days he stays dry all day and even poops on the potty at will, other days...well he just doesn't even try to stay dry. I've even taken him shopping to have him pick out his very own undies...that worked with M, but not with J!! Maybe shoes will do the trick--thanks for the idea!

kelly said...

i might have to try this one. we have been having major issues with the potty training.