Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Spaghetti Spork

Last night as we sat down for dinner Liam pointed at something on the table and said, “This.” That’s usually his cue to give him whatever he’s pointing at, and usually we do exactly that because, why not? It's not like he asks for paint or guns or even lipstick all that often. And when he does ask for lipstick, he rarely takes the lid off before rubbing it on his lips.

At first I thought he was pointing at the spaghetti noodles, so I set a noodle on his high chair tray. He shook his head no, pointed more adamantly, and said “this” again. I went around the table handing him a roll, a piece of broccoli, a spoonful of sauce, and a cup of water. By this time he was getting really whiny and no longer using his dinner table voice to say “THIS.”

Finally I picked him up and carried him to the table so he could show me exactly what he wanted. He led me straight to the pot of spaghetti, reached for the crazy spaghetti spoon, and got a huge grin on his face. THIS was all he ever wanted.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Maggie does the same thing, but uses the word, "that". wouldn't it be so cute to get Liam and Maggie together and listen to them say this and that...