Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Difference Between a Violin and a Fiddle

I used to dread playing in violin recitals. Every year I would dress in my Sunday best, sit around in a stuffy church for hours waiting for my turn to play, and then butcher my piece in front of hundreds of people.

Now that I’m in charge, recitals are held outside, in casual clothes, and they take no longer than 45 minutes.




And when the recital is over, we move to the trampoline.


8 comments:

Bethany said...

you are the coolest ever!!

Katie said...

This would have been so much better for me as a kid.


I remember getting 7/8ths of the way through some concerto, forgetting the ending, and storming off the stage wearing my favorite sunday dress in tears.


Although, the treats at those recitals were bomber.



If we lived by you I'd totally take lessons from you!

Katie said...

Oh, do you know anyone in the Denver area who gives bluegrass lessons? I'd love to get back into it.

Kim Dubois said...

Katie, we should have a jam session next time I'm in Denver.

Bingham fam said...

That looks like alot more fun then the recital I was in.

Maggie said...

But you would miss that one recital that we have on tape where the little boy didn't want to play so he wouldn't stand up or hold his violin. He went completely limp in his mother's arms. CLASSIC!

PS. If I lived near you I'd take lessons from you too. I get too frustrated/unmotivated to take the mandolin out on my own.

zippy said...

Awesome! You are one rockin' teacher Kim!

Melissa said...

Good for you.
I think kids learn better in this kind of environment.
Why stress them out more?
They have the rest of their life for that.