Monday, August 07, 2006

The Type of Confession that Should Be Made Long Before Marriage

Remember those Choose Your Own Adventure books from elementary school, where you get to page 16 and have to decide whether to turn to page 24 to open the door in front of you or turn to page 35 to go around to the side window instead?

I totally loved those books. I thought was probably Choose Your Own Aventure’s biggest fan. But I found out last week that my husband was so much more devoted than I could have possibly dreamed.

The first time Ben read one of those books, he was blown away that people would consider themselves finished with a book when so many pages were left unread. He couldn’t possibly put the book down until he had found out what was on every single page.

He tried reading it from cover to cover, but it didn’t make sense that way.

So he grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil and kept track of each decision he made. Then he went back and reread the book several more times, choosing different scenarios and keeping track of each decision, until he had finished the entire thing.

And he used this same method on all of the Choose Your Own Adventure books he ever read.

Can you believe I only found this out last week?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It's amazing the things that we learn about our spouses. I recently discovered that Rob had a childhood crush on (get this) Reba McIntyre. He was in love with her Christmas album picture. I don't think any other discovery has ever made me question him - and why he's attracted to me - so much!

be said...

I reread those books a bunch of times, too. I had one that I probably read for my entire pre-Shannara book experience. If only I'd thought of mapping out the choices, maybe I could have finished it.