Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Favorite Locksmith

About a year ago, one of my students hopped in her car to go home and couldn’t get it to start. In order to reach her battery with my battery, I had to park halfway in my neighbor’s driveway and halfway in the middle of the street. I figured it would be okay since it would only take a second. That’s when I locked my keys in the car.

By the time the locksmith arrived, my student had called her brother, gotten her car jumped, and left, leaving my car in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.

A few months later, Ben borrowed a truck from work so we could deliver our couches to the people who bought them off Craigslist. Liam locked himself in the car, and we called the first locksmith who could be at our house in 15 minutes. It just happened to be the same guy who came the last time, and you better believe he remembered my crazy parking job.

Since it had been several months and we knew that locksmith was good, fast, and cheap, I called him this week to see if he could re-key the locks on our new house. When he showed up, I pretended I had never seen him before. (No need to bring up past transgressions, right?) Everything went really well until he finished and I handed him a check. He saw my address and a light bulb turned on above his head. “Oh, yeah!” he said. “You’re the one who locked your kid in the truck, right?”

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow. You are fast! Seth and I still only have one key to our house because we haven't re-keyed yet. Yes, it is a bit annoying.

Do you like your new house?

Melissa said...

Man that's great you're in your new house.
I think that's awesome that he remembered you!!

KT2 said...

What - so he's never made a dumb mistake? What about a career as a locksmith? Oops! Sorry Locksmiths!

Leah said...

So, will you post some more pictures of your house? Are you going to move your furniture?

Also, email me your new address again, will ya? I just found Liam's warm up pants. You probably want those back.