Back home there’s a man named Kelly who throws neighborhood barbeques so fancy, they’re called soirées. The best part about a Kelly Soirée™ (for a less-than-enthusiastic carnivore like myself) is the garlic bread. It’s the perfect mix of dry and moist—not crumbly like a cracker, but also not cool and damp in the middle like mine always turns out when I don’t leave it in the oven long enough.
On New Year’s Day I was fortunate enough to attend a Kelly Soirée™, and even more fortunately, I was standing in the kitchen during the garlic bread preparation. Fearing that I might be kicked out of the kitchen if the Kelly family knew I was spying, I acted nonchalant, didn’t make eye contact with the bread, and didn’t ask for details.
Here’s what I know, though: they slice a loaf of French bread in half lengthwise, like they’re about to make a hoagie sandwich for a giant. They place both halves on the grill and turn them into toast. Then they bring the giant’s toasted hoagie bun inside and slice it into normal garlic bread-sized pieces. Finally, they fry the dry pieces of toast in a pan with a very shallow pool of melted garlic butter.
I’ve tried this a couple times in the last month and I’m totally addicted. I find myself making garlic bread in the middle of the day for no good reason. Who knew their secret recipe could be so easy?
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
what you didn't see was that the melted garlic butter was infused with cocaine. that's how they got you hooked.
The funny thing about this story is that the entire reason my Dad has soiree's is so your Mom will bring her cookies. You probably didn't notice, but while you were eyeballin' the garlic bread, my Dad was taking a stack of chocolate chip cookies and stashing them in some hidden cupboard in the kitchen so he could go enjoy them later when everyone is gone. I'm not joking, either.
WHAT?! Morgan? I've been caught!
Menu for our next get together:
-garlic bread
-layered pudding dessert
-your mom's cookies
I'll bring the drinks!
I'll bring napkins! That's easy.
The word verification thing that I have to type in to publish this comment is "zhapoo." At first I laughed because it kind of sounds like shampoo, or it sounds like someone sneezing, but now I am laughing because it says poo. Goodbye.
I love that Kelly's daughter commented on your blog. Did you know she was a follower? That right there is the reason I can't post all the crazy pictures of the seven (YES SEVEN) boys who live next door, and play nerd games in our front yard. You never know WHO is following along. All I can say is that the games they invented is called "Elements of Force" and involves capes, swords, and words that even I don't understand. Oh yes, and the boys are teenagers.
WHY is it that I don't spell check until AFTER I post? Um, just as I was going to post THIS comment, I decided to spell check, and the word POST was actually PIST. Now that could have been bad.
Post a Comment