Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Snickers Doesn't Satisfy

I’m the only girl I know who didn’t eat peanuts for the entire nine months of my pregnancy and the entire twelve months of nursing Liam. I’m even the only girl I know who intended to wait until Liam was three years old to give him his first taste of peanut butter. That means the poor kid has been eating plain butter and jelly sandwiches while all of the other kids were eating peanut butter and jelly. Everywhere I go, I make sure to tell people not to give Liam any nuts. When they ask if he’s allergic, I have to give the silly explanation that no, he’s not allergic as far as I know, but I’m not ready to find out yet. All because the EpiPen freaks me out.

Last weekend I took Liam to nursery in Colorado and forgot to ask the nursery leader not to give Liam any nuts. Surprise! He had peanut butter crackers and turned into a red, swollen ball of itchy hives.

It looks like he’ll be eating plain butter and jelly sandwiches for a long, long time.

1 comment:

Heather said...

So, I don't understand where your fears are coming from. Does someone in your immediate family have allergies to peanuts? I would think that if there is no one related to you with a peanut allergy you would want to eat peanuts (during your pregnancy etc.), so that your son doesn't develop an allergy to them when he first tries them.