Friday, April 11, 2008

Signing Trickster

Liam took a break from Signing Time for a few months, but now he’s back with a vengeance. We have five or six episodes saved on the DVR, and he would probably watch all of them in a row every day if he could.

Since I don’t sit down and watch it with him, Liam knows all kinds of signs now that I don’t know. Sometimes he asks me, “How do you sign blue?” And I say, “I don’t know, how do you sign blue?” And he shows me, while saying, “You make a B for blue, and then twist it.” And for a second I think he knows that blue starts with B, before I realize that he’s just repeating what the Signing Time lady says.

Yesterday we were going through one of these signing lessons when I got the feeling Liam was making up his own signs. It all became very clear when he asked me, “How do you sign Lisa?” Instead of spelling out L-I-S-A, I said, “I don’t know. How do you sign Lisa?” And Liam stuck his fist up by his nose and wiggled it all around.

I know I haven’t seen all of the episodes, but come on. This kid is totally taking me for a ride.

2 comments:

The UnMighty said...

No, It's true! That is how you sign Lisa! He's a genius!

zippy said...

Too funny! We're gonna have to check out Signing Time. Thanks for the tip. : )