Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Price of Procrastination

My passport expired in May, and since I didn’t have any travel plans, my renewal application has been sitting in a padded envelope on the desk for three months waiting for me to lose five pounds so my face won’t look so fat in the new passport picture.

In case that doesn’t sound ridiculous to you, you should know that I magically lost all of my pregnancy weight plus five pounds in the first week of Liam’s life and I’ve spent the last two years steadily gaining weight. Ten pounds, to be exact. I don’t have the motivation to just lose five pounds for a passport photo whenever I feel like it.

The padded envelope sat there collecting dust until Ben came home from work last night and asked if I wanted to go to Italy on October 12th. The trip is tentative, but even a 1% chance of going to Italy is worth getting a new passport ASAP, right?

This morning I sent in my application with an extra $60 for expedited service and my sweet new photos, complete with not just a fat face, but an awesome sunglasses tan line leftover from Lake Powell last week.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I think a hideous passport picture is required. So no worries.

Schmath said...

Kim, that stinks. That is the kind of thing that is supposed to happen to me, not you. I thought you were more organized than that. But what would stink even worse is if your passport doesn't come in time and you end up missing Italy after already booking the flight. I saw something like that on the news last night, only the people had travel insurance, but then the insurance wouldn't cover it. It was sad. Want me to watch Liam while you're gone?

zippy said...

Hope your passport comes back quickly! Have the time of your life in Italy! And uh, wish 5 lbs. was all I had left to lose--you are one of the luckiest ladies I know!

Kim Dubois said...

Guys. Guys. I totally misled you. Five pounds would only get me back to my pre-Liam weight, not my ideal weight.

I just wanted all five pounds to come off my face so I could trick my passport photo.