Once every month or two, when I’m feeling especially brave, I tell myself it might be fun to check on Liam before I go to bed. So far it’s always been the opposite of fun. He wakes up the second I turn the doorknob, and he doesn’t just fall back asleep if I don’t open the door. Once that doorknob turns, he’s wide awake and ready to redo our pre-bedtime rituals. "Milk!" he yells. "Milk! Milk! Bath! Bath! Bath! Book! Book! Sing!" I have this hope that one day he’ll sleep through the twisting of the doorknob and I’ll see him sleeping like an angel and forgive him for the words he repeatedly yells every day.
I have to wake Liam up for church on Sunday, since ours starts at 9:00 and that’s usually what time he wakes up. It’s the only day he gets a morning wake up call, so he always knows when it’s time for church.
The other night I was feeling pretty brave, so I turned the doorknob in such a way that only a sleeping 2-year-old can hear—like I always do—to see if this would be the night that he would let me watch him sleep. And like always, Liam was awake and standing up in his crib by the time I had the door cracked enough to peek at him. Only this time, instead of asking for milk, he said, “Church.” Even though it was Monday night, pitch black, and 3 hours after he had fallen asleep, he was ready for Sunday morning.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
He's going to be a bishop when he grows up. I just know it.
Abby is just the same, I was only able to do it a couple times, sometimes i wonder if she is even sleeping or just lays there hoping someone will turn the knob. amber
ha ha. you can come watch my kids sleep, kim.
I recommend the video monitor. I thought it was a ridiculous splurge when I registered for it, but now that I have one, I don't know how people have lived without them. Okay, enough of my commercial for Summer.
Post a Comment